The Young Britons’ Foundation instituted the Global Leadership for Freedom Award at YBFX.
The Global Leadership for Freedom Award recognises the visionary application of free market solutions to problems in the developing world, when it seems all too easy to suggest throwing western taxpayers’ money at problems in an effort to feel good.
The winner of the Global Leadership for Freedom Award will be an individual or organisation that exemplifies the very best in humanitarian leadership, coupled with the principled application of free market principles.
- 2013: Andrew Macleod, for his work in the international humanitarian movement since the 1990s in the former Yugoslavia, West Africa and Pakistan, coupled with his visionary and inspirational development of private sector led initiatives across Asia.
- 2014: Sir Edward Leigh MP, Philip Hollobone MP, David Nuttall MP, Mark Reckless MP, Christopher Chope OBE MP, Jacob Rees-Mogg MP & Philip Davies MP, for simultaneously standing up for British taxpayers and the world’s poorest people by voting against the government’s mandatory expenditure of 0.7% of Gross Domestic Product on ineffectual international aid programmes when the better solution is freer trade
At each conference, YBF hands out a number of awards to prominent conservatives, libertarians and classical liberals who deserve recognition – as well as to those who deserve to be recognised for their failures.
The awards handed out at YBFXI were:
- The Eric Forth Award for Activism (Winner: Rory Broomfield)
- The Dolphin Award (Winner: Mark Clarke)
- The Lifetime Warrior Award (Winner: The Rt Hon Lord Lawson of Blaby PC)
- The Conservative Leadership Award (Winner: Daniel Hannan MEP)
- The One to Watch Award (Winner: Tim Aker MEP)
- The One of Us Award (Winner: Jonathan Isaby)
- The Special Relationship Award (Winner: General Sam Hines)
- The White Feather Award (Winner: The Rt Hon Baroness Warsi)
This year we will also be awarding two new awards:
- The Courage Under Fire Award (Winner: The Rt Hon Michael Gove MP)
- The Global Freedom Leadership Award (Winners: 2014: Sir Edward Leigh MP, Philip Hollobone MP, David Nuttall MP, Mark Reckless MP, Christopher Chope OBE MP, Jacob Rees-Mogg MP & Philip Davies MP)
The Board of the Young Britons’ Foundation is pleased to announce that India Brummitt has today joined YBF as full-time Operations Director after having been actively involved for a number of years.
India has attended a number of YBF events, including the YBF Conference in the US and the UK, having attended her first YBF event in 2010. Prior to joining the Young Britons’ Foundation India worked in parliament for a Conservative MP before moving into public relations in the City where she specialised in financial services and public affairs.
India is the National Deputy Chairman of Conservative Future and a graduate of Royal Holloway.
You can reach India to congratulate her by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tickets for the 11th Young Britons’ Foundation Activist Training Conference, known as YBFXI, are almost sold out. While the early bird discount has now ended, full price (and still subsidised) tickets are available online here.
What are you waiting for? Christmas? Well, if you wait long, YBFXI will have already taken place!
This is the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum, visited each year by the Young Britons’ Foundation and the inspiration behind the Margaret Thatcher Centre. It is a fitting way to remember a great President and close ally of Margaret Thatcher – the man who won the Cold War without firing a single shot.
The Young Britons’ Foundation is pleased to announce that the 2015 YBF Parliamentary Rally will take place in Committee Room 10 of the House of Commons from 2pm to 6pm on Wednesday, 11 March 2015.
Tickets are free. You can register to attend the YBF Parliamentary Rally on Eventbrite.
Details of confirmed speakers will be released in the coming weeks.
Donal Blaney, Founder and Chairman of the Young Britons’ Foundation, was listed at number 50 in The Times Top 100 Right-Wingers this week. His citation reads:
“50. (+20) Donal Blaney
CEO, Conservative Way Forward, the Margaret Thatcher Centre & Young Britons’ Foundation
Blaney revels in his reputation as a slightly shadowy, guru-like figure. YBF is his baby and it’s the nearest thing the Conservative Party has to a “madrassa”. It does what Conservative Future should be doing and trains young activists in campaigning and media management. Blaney is a kind of godfather figure to the young conservative movement. He’s also the man behind the creation of the Margaret Thatcher centre and has raised a huge amount of money to get the project off the ground. He’s behind the Conservative party’s RoadTrip organisation, which has become the activist wing of the party. Many believe that Grant Shapps kept his job in part because of the 200 RoadTrip activists sent to the Newark by-election”.
YBF is pleased to announce that tickets for YBFXI, to be held at Churchill College, Cambridge, from lunchtime on Friday, 12 December 2014 to lunchtime on Sunday, 14 December 2014 are now on sale.
Among the 25 already confirmed speakers for YBFXI are: Continue reading
Dozens of YBF activists descended on Newark, scene of the Conservatives’ recent by-election victory and a similar surge in Ukip support. Maybe you were one..?
The Spectator has written on the central role played by young conservative leaders as part of Road Trip 2015.